Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Koh Samui

So I booked 3 nights in Koh Samui, and while it rained non-stop all 4 days, I was enjoying the town so much I decided to stay put for the remainder of my stay.

Sure, I would have liked to do Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, but I was simply running out of time. (I hate myself for forgetting those plane tickets and cutting my trip short a full 6 days)

But Koh Samui was just so darn laid back and relaxing. Up to this point, I was feeling a bit like Goldilocks. Bangkok and Phuket were too wild and seedy, while Koh Kho Khao was too quiet, and Koh Samui, well it was just right.

But bears and porridge aside, what a freaking great town! I had heard it was far too touristy, but I disagree. Sure there are lots of tourists, but the annoying ones are in towns like Phuket. Koh Samui is a perfect mix of all ages of people, and there are a ton of fun bars and interesting places to see. Sure, it rained entirely too much, but staying 8 nights there was an excellent idea.

Why? Well I don't know, but it was the closest I have felt to "living somewhere" in my entire trip. Of course, the time flew by but I had an awesome time.

Met LOTS of people. Many Australians, a couple French dudes who were a blast and an Irishman who lived next-door, and I even settled into a favorite bar, as that is required in any town I decide to take residence in. "The Three Monkeys" it was called. Made friends with the staff as well, no not hookers as this bar, along with most in Koh Samui, are free of the sex trade.

I stayed a bit off the main strip on Chaweng beach but close to it. Chaweng beach and Lamaii beach are the two main party spots, and while I never did catch Lamaii, I loved Chaweng.

My favorite part of the trip, and frankly my entire journey, was hitting a Full Moon Party, as most of you have probably heard about. In case you haven't, it is a gigantic bash that happens on the island of Koh Pha Ngan, which is a 30 minute motor-boat ride from Koh Samui. It
occurs every full moon night (about once a month) and it's been going on for decades, originally a party where people dropped acid and danced to trance music.

I took no drugs, and frankly saw very few people engaging in it, but we were certainly all in a trance as it was simply AWESOME! Boozing and dancing along the beach with 10,000 people all in a good mood (and covered in face paint, like myself) is VERY cool.

And while I had planned on hitting the party, when the day finally came to hit the party, I was beat and frankly didn't want to go as I didn't know what to expect. Well, I decided to buy a ticket after talking with my neighbor buddies (since I at least knew I wasn't going alone) and I'm quite happy I did!

I had so much stinking fun I wanted to shit.

But that is figuratively speaking. Literally speaking, I absolutely DID shit, and I did NOT want that at all! And not in a toilet either. I shall not admit to details, but it certainly cut the evening short, which means I got home at 6am instead of 8am.

Why even mention this? Well, I have no shame, and it isn't my fault as you may not know that when God made the McDermott males, he contracted out the creation of our bowels to a Minneapolis bridge designer. Seriously, we have major issues.

But if you ever get the chance, hit a full-moon party once in your life.

And now that I'm on my last day and I have to go home, I must say I'm totally depressed. Sure, I look forward to seeing my friends and family, but I'd give anything to have those 6 days back that my idiocy cost me!!!!!

And to be honest, I'm actually writing this in Bangkok before my flight leaves for the states.

And the depression might actually be a concussion, as last night while walking back from the hotel, I bashed my head into a sign that no Thai person comes within a foot of hitting and I have an alarmingly large gash on my pate that probably requires stitches, but I don't care. People like me, along with others like Eric Stoltz's character in The Mask, find it pointless to have that kind of cosmetic surgery.

I'm just angry I had this injury in my LAST night of the trip, and now I have to stand at Matt's wedding in 3 days! Oh well.

Okay that's all for now. Since I still have the travel bug, know that I am NOT finished with my journey, though I have no clue what is next. Argentina? Costa Rica? Back to Asia? Trailer Park? We shall see!

Massive Head-wound Groomsman

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that it? Is this the end of the travel blog? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I thought it MIGHT be then end, as I'm back in the states now (Vegas, poor me!) but I've been thinking:
"I really wanted to hit Australia, and I hate that I missed out on other parts of Asia...so is a 900 flight back to Asia that bad of an idea? ... Of course not!!"

I will be spending the weekend with my parents in California, and after that I shall decide.